Job Roles For Secretary – Personal Assistant,Reporting skills,Professionalism
How to Be an Organization's Secretary
Whether you are talking about a student council, political group or special task force, all organizations require a secretary. The secretary is arguably the most important officer as s/he is responsible for organizing, assimilating and disseminating information within and without the organization. They need to be organized, hard working, intelligent, and possess excellent writing skills.
Decide that this is the right job for you.Some people think that it is easier to be secretary than treasurer or president, but many meeting veterans will tell you that the secretary's job is much more difficult.
Meet with the outgoing secretary if possible.Have him or her give you the previous meetings' minutes, correspondences, reports, administrative orders, etc.. With any luck, these will already be well organized and ready for you to take them over; if not, read the next step.
Get a filing cabinet or a briefcase.These should be provided by your organization, but if they are not, buying used is a good first step and an excellent way to reduce unnecessary expenses on your part or on the part of your organization. There are many filing systems that can be employed for administrative documents like meeting minutes, by-laws and so on; read up on these and determine which is the easiest to follow and the cheapest to implement, and stick to that system. If you received the files in a disorganized mess, you don't want to leave them that way for the next secretary when your tenure is completed.
Learn that good organizational skills make a good secretary.If your organization's office is not well organized, this is something that should be addressed right away. Use the office to store all relevant documentation and try to employ the same filing system that you have used on your filing cabinet.
Go from small to big when organizing files and documents.Begin by filing all relevant documentation into a filing cabinet or briefcase, and then organize the entire office and organization using the same system, but on a larger scale. That will make the office very user friendly and afford a lot of peace of mind to you and your successor.
Develop good contacts and use them wisely.A friendly, professional demeanor is very important to an organization's secretary. You will learn very rapidly that most secretaries rely on an intricate network of friends and contacts to conduct day-to-day business.
QuestionHow do I write such letters?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerWhatever you are secretary of, there will be files for you to maintain. Look at the file copies of letters written in the past, and use those as models for new letters that you generate. Libraries have books that include sample business letters, study those. And/or ask someone in your organization to "eyeball" your draft of a letter you're about to send. Get help, especially if your English is uncertain. The other person will probably love helping you. A good and proper letter will make you look good and also your organization and whoever signs the letter.Thanks!
QuestionWhat are the steps to becoming a secretary?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerPrepare a professional resume. Research and visit locations you wish to work for. Be pleasant in appearance and communication. Let them know what you can bring to the organization. Be upbeat and driven. Include your education & prior work experience that shows your capabilities on your resume. Secure interviews at a few locations and choose the one that best meets your needs.Thanks!
QuestionWhat is the role of the secretary?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThe role of the secretary is a support function. They serve as an intermediary between the customer and your company's products. They also assist higher level employees to succeed in their duties. The duties of the secretary include all specific tasks included in your job description from your employer as well as general office tasks.Thanks!
QuestionWho appoints a secretary in an organization?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThe members of the organization would vote for the secretary.Thanks!
Why is it important for an organization to have a secretary?
What is the role of the organizing secretary in an organization?
Who is an organizer?
How can you become organized and neat in minutes?
What is the best interest when it comes to secretary roles?
- By taking good meeting minutes and providing these in a timely fashion (a one hour meeting should have 1-2 pages of minutes maximum, and these should be submitted to the group for feedback within 5 business days) ensures that members of the organization are on the 'same page' and able to take more effective action sooner.
- Do not use your company or organization's resources (i.e.: office supplies, email server, laptop, etc) for personal activities. Even if you are a volunteer, the organization does not 'owe' you anything, and this is in extremely bad taste.
- Always behave in a seemly, professional manner.
- These guidelines follow Robert's "Rules of Order", one of the best known secretarial manuals to date. It is advisable that you seek out this valuable resources; much of it is published on the web for free.
- Always have a plan B when organizing an event, as you never know what will happen. This is particularly important if you are catering an event or expecting speakers and/or entertainment to show up. There is nothing worse than attending an event and having a colossal screw-up occur. If catering isn't going to show, you'd better make sure that you've contacted the local pizzeria ahead of time and given them a heads up. (note: the local pizzeria should probably be among your list of contacts, too).
- Plan ahead. It is the role of the secretary to coordinate company/organization events. You simply cannot run an event on a last-minute schedule. If you need to plan something last-minute, making the event less formal can ease the pressure for your guests and for yourself.
- Keep members informed of activities, events, and plans and ensure that the public is aware of upcoming events.
- One of the most important functions a secretary serves is communicating with its members and the general public.
- Remember when you are trying to organize meetings and events that organizing other people can be difficult at best.
- A secretary makes sure that everyone knows when a certain meeting is held. They also make sure that everyone is at the meeting. They also type up important dates for the organization or business.
- Keep files, documents, mail, and money in a safe place!
Video: PRESIDENT, CEO, SECRETARY GENERAL OF IMPORTANT ORGANIZATIONS(UN, SAARC, WTO,IAEA etc)
Breaking: Dick Van Dyke has revealed why his Mary Poppins accent was so bad
Solutions to 5 Common Newlywed Fights
Is Quinoa Good for You Everything You Need to Know About the Superfood
How to Bathe an Infant
How to Hide Your Diary
12 Kerry Washington Hairstyles
The 12 Best Linzer Cookie Recipes Youll Ever Try
Britney Spears loses custody case
Make it Warm and Safe for your Kids this Winter
What to Do When an Ex Comes Back
Risk Factors for Liver Cancer
Renee Zellweger interview
How to Celebrate Wholesome Bliss
How to Survive a Duke of Edinburghs Award Weekend
Everything You Need to Know Before Going on a Low-Carb Diet