How To Be Taken Seriously
How to Be Taken Seriously
Are people blowing off what you are saying and not really taking you seriously? Maybe you joke around a bit too much or made a mistake that others won’t let you live down. No matter the reason, you need others’ respect to be successful. Learn to be taken seriously by being assertive, commanding respect, and avoiding the mistakes you made in the past.
Look people in the eye while talking to them.This shows them that you're serious about what you're talking about and that you are engaged in the conversation. Not only will it let them know that you are focused on them, but it will allow you to connect with them. By looking at their eyes, you can read their facial expressions and see how they are reacting to what you are saying, and you can adjust the conversation as necessary.
Speak clearly.Say what you need to say with a steady voice. Don't mumble or speak too quickly or slowly. Don’t look to others for approval; simply express your beliefs and ideas from the heart.
- Try the "slow talk" technique. Slow down your speech by adding an extra second to your words. Articulate your words, pronouncing each syllable.
Use proper body language.When speaking to others, hold your head high and keep your legs and arms uncrossed. This body language commands respect and shows that you are open and confident.
Speak only when you have something valuable to say.Avoid adding random jokes or unrelated bits of information to conversations. Should you have a good idea or thought, express it. Adding unnecessary or repetitive information will make folks less likely to listen to you.
- For instance, if a group is discussing global warming and you have recently watched a documentary about it, chime in with what you know. However, if you don’t know about the topic, stay silent and listen instead.
Stay calm.If you're arguing with someone, stay calm and speak in an even tone. Don't get all worked up because this will make you look like you can't think clearly. Take deep breaths in and out to steady yourself. If you feel that you are going to cry or yell, walk away for a moment to take a bathroom break.
Take responsibility.Actions speak louder than words, so you may have lost credibility with others because your actions have not been consistent. Accept responsibility for your behavior instead of blaming others, and seek more responsibility to demonstrate how serious you are. Take on more work without expectation of reward. This will show others that you are becoming more mature.
- Take action to show that you're serious. For example, if others don't see you as financially responsible, then create an excel spreadsheet and start keeping track of your finances.
- At work, ask your boss if you can help out with their new project and come to them with research or ideas on how to improve it. Try to find ways to do things better, more efficiently, or find problems that no one else has noticed.
- At home, take on more chores to help your family.
Method 1 Quiz
What kind of body language indicates that you are open and confident?
Arrive early.Show that you mean business by arriving five to ten minutes early for any meeting or appointment you might have. This shows that you respect your time and the time of others.
- This applies to professional settings. It is typically okay to be a few minutes late to parties and other social events.
Read the news.Stay up on the current events in your city, state, country and the world. Don’t just know about the latest pop culture, know about the politics that are affecting you. This will give you serious topics to discuss with others.
- Download news apps to your phone and take fifteen minutes daily to read articles every morning. You can even sign up for news alerts.
Prepare for your assignments or projects.Should you be assigned a task at work or school, work diligently on it. Do your research so you can do it to the best of you ability. If there is a presentation portion, practice beforehand until you have mastered it. This will show that you take your work seriously.
- For instance, if you have a presentation coming up, prepare a powerpoint. Use a simplistic format and include visuals or charts. Check for typos and practice presenting in the mirror.
Dress for success.Take care of your appearance by showering and keeping your hair and clothes presentable. This will keep you from looking sharp, neat and clean. You don't have to look ready for a board meeting (unless you're actually going to a board meeting), but you should always look nice.
- Iron your clothes the night before so you don’t have to rush in the mornings.
- Use your clothes to tell people what you want them to think about you.
Set up a good reputation.If you want to be taken seriously, don't do things that make people think less of you. Avoid public intoxication, drugs, crime, and other poor decisions. Instead, involve yourself in positive activities like volunteering.
- Be mindful of what you post on social media, too. Avoid posts that glorify drugs, violence or other negative behaviors.
Follow through on your promises.If you tell someone that you will do something, you should follow through on that. If they see you as someone that just makes empty promises, they will be very unlikely to take you seriously.
- Perhaps you promised a coworker that you would pick them up the following morning for work. Be sure to set a reminder on your phone and wake up early so you can keep the promise.
Tell the truth.If you are lying often, you can’t really expect people to believe you. They aren't going to trust you to tell them the right information. Always be truthful with others, even when it’s difficult. They will begin to take you seriously if they know you will be honest with them. People value honesty and genuineness in others.
- For example, if you don't know something, say, "I'm not familiar with that, but I'll look it up."
Speak up when you disagree.If someone is being rude to others or suggest something that is wrong, speak up for what you believe. Do so in a respectful and kind manner. This will show to others that you have integrity and that you’re willing to fight for what’s right.
- For instance, your boss might suggest paying the new female coworker less than the male staff because of her gender. Let him know that this is not okay and that she deserves equal pay to do equal work.
Method 2 Quiz
How can you non-verbally show people what you want them to think of you?
Avoiding Bad Behaviors
Avoid speaking negatively about others.Even when your friends or coworkers are gossiping about others, avoid doing so. Change the subject or walk away. This will show that you take your morals seriously.
- If your coworkers start bashing your boss, say “Hey, did y’all see last night’s episode of Game of Thrones? It was awesome.”
Don't try to make a joke out of everything.When it's appropriate, go ahead and have a little fun. But if you are always joking around about everything, how do you expect to be taken seriously? Know when the situation is right for a joke, but stay serious most of the time in professional settings.
- While you can use jokes as a self-defense mechanism, doing it too often can make you appear fake.
Avoid hyperbole.Hyperbole is when you exaggerate for dramatic effect. An example would be describing something as "enormous", when it was really just large. If you use hyperbole too often, people will start to think that you're exaggerating all the time and they won't take your words at face value.
- Try to be as honest as possible. For instance, if you got minimal sleep the night before, say that you didn’t get much sleep instead of saying that you didn’t sleep at all.
Avoid getting off task while at work.When at work, avoid texting or using your phone for personal calls. People will begin to think that you don’t do any work. Instead, focus on the task at hand and take mini breaks as necessary.
Primp in the restroom only.Sometimes the folks taken the least seriously are those who seem a little too invested in their physical appearance. Avoid applying makeup or fixing your hair in public; try to do so in the restroom instead. Avoid looking into every mirror you pass or taking selfies often.
Method 3 Quiz
Why is it important to limit how much you joke?
QuestionHow can I stop smiling at serious situations?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerA serious situation doesn't mean that you can't smile. If it makes people uncomfortable, try deep breathing, and if people call you out on it, just apologize. It's not that big of a deal.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I stop talking so much?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTry to calm down and think of what you want to say, and about how the person you are talking to might react, before you say it.Thanks!
QuestionWhat about at school, my classmates and teacher laugh at almost every little thing I say, so it's hard to engage in a serious conversation with them. What can I do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerJust speak confidently, as if you're certain of what you're saying. so people won't doubt you.Thanks!
QuestionCan I give my guy a flower?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThanks!
QuestionDo you have any other tips if none of these methods worked?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerAssert yourself so that you feel comfortable in your own skin. It is not the action of assertion itself, it is the confidence that comes with it that will make people take you seriously. Also, take yourself seriously, it's the basis of others doing so too, as much of our relating is bluff and getting others to buy what we sell by way of our "brand".Thanks!
QuestionHow do I talk less about myself and listen more?Shubham SharmaCommunity AnswerBe open minded, and don't speak much about yourself and anyone else in general because people might think of you as being self centered. Whenever you want to speak of yourself, consider whether it will sound practical to the other ear. Always take a deep breath before you speak anything, and think twice before doing so.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I act when someone wants to take my job at work?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerStand your ground. Be confident in yourself and show your boss that you are perfect for the job you have.Thanks!
QuestionThe staff talks down to me, and my manager tells me to be more assertive. I don't want to get too angry. Any tips?Shubham SharmaCommunity AnswerEvery time you feel offended or let down and tend to get angry, simply breathe deeply for five or six seconds. Respond back with respect, apologize if you did wrong, and assure it won't happen again. This will make them respect you. You can't control their natures, but you can control yours.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I get a girl while being serious?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerMake sure she knows you like her, so she doesn't think you're joking. Make sure she isn't already seeing someone. If she isn't, try and talk to her more. Don't go straight in and rush because it could frighten her off.Try and stand out from others so she thinks you're unique.Thanks!
QuestionI think I have ADHD and I'm 15. I haven't consulted a doctor or a therapist for this problem. I tried many times to understand the situation and solve the problem, but I fail to. What can I do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can't control that yourself. If you believe you have ADHD, then you must tell your parents to bring you to your medical doctor who can refer you to a specialist. You may or may not be placed on medication. Don't be afraid if a doctor suggests that you try it. You can always go off it later if it doesn't work out.Thanks!
What if they mock my social media accounts?
- Think about your decisions before you make them.
- Put yourself in someone else's shoes and think about how you would view yourself.
- Say what you mean and mean what you say.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Français: , Русский: , 中文: , Español: , Italiano: , Deutsch: , Português: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Nederlands:
Video: 10 Teen Tips | How To Be Taken More Seriously | Personal Presentation
6 Things You Didn’t Know About Davina McCall
How to Cope With Hunger
Your favorite cheese might contain a substance from goat stomachs
3 Reasons Why Coffee Is Good for You
F-22s got 587 enemy aircraft to back off in first combat surge in Syria
The Queen Arrives at the Royal Wedding Wearing Stewart Parvin
Is it really ever OK to objectify men
10 Surprising Things Men Never Think About
A Halloween Mermaid Tutorial For Girls With Short Hair
Roberto Cavalli Fall 2019 Collection at MFW
Science Says This Is The Key To A Great Long-Term Sex Life